DC Drinks

Reviews, rantlets and ribald on all things alcoholic.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Confessions of an Oak Addict

I used to hum Fly to the Angels by Slaughter when no one was looking. I used to think Lindsay Lohan was hot. And I used to drink vodka. I'm now only ashamed of one of those things: drinking vodka.

You see, while it's a normal part of developing the drinker's palate to start with the colorless and odorless stuff, once you've had a taste of the complexity imbued by oak its hard to return to the watery, clear substances. The phenolics (flavor compounds, pigments and tannins imparted by wood) add a dimension to liquor that is nothing short of sublime. So much that law requires it for Bourbons.

Of course for Bourbon they char the wood by exposing new barrels to flame for about 60 seconds, depending on how much char the distiller wants. That helps to extract sugars from the oak--new white oak more specifically--and it's where all those lovely confectionary notes come from. Other brown liquors might be toasted (AKA burnt a little less).

Brown liquors include Cognac, Armangac, Scotch Whiskey, Rye Whiskey, aged Rum. The list goes on. And every one of them preferable to the slight hint of anise or citrus you might squeeze out of a trillion-time distilled artisanal vodka. I want to taste the wood.

OK, so there are some flavorful vodkas. There must be, otherwise Russia would be known exclusively for Dostoevsky and Communism. How depressing that would be! But Whiskey is what gets me up in the morning (not literally). So now it's time to unveil my new slogan:

Once you've had brown, white just won't go down.

4 Comments:

At 4:58 AM, Blogger red storm said...

I think I have some incense that matches your new motto.

 
At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree fully about vodka, but what about gin? Don't get me wrong, I'm a dark spirits kind of guy, but there will always be a prominent place for gin in my diet.

 
At 3:48 PM, Blogger Wicketywack said...

Jlondon,

DC Drinks LOVES gin.

 
At 12:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, COOL, now your talking my kind of language. :) Just so you know, I meant no disrespect -- honest. I only discovered this blog the other day, and I was just throwing in my own two cents. You guys should do a gin article along the lines of the vodka=personality article.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home