DC Drinks

Reviews, rantlets and ribald on all things alcoholic.

Sunday, January 08, 2006

Stick with the Bitters: Angostura 1919 Rum

“Let us candidly admit that there are shameful blemishes on the American past, of which the worst by far is rum." - Bernard De Voto

I wanted to love this rum. It was given as a gift by a Trini employee of mine and had all the makings of a great find. It's animated by a unique story, particular to one place and purportedly aged with care. I should have eaten it up. I'm a sucker for marketing. Only it tastes like the unfortunate combination of vanilla extract and paint thinner. But then what rum have I ever loved? Is it me, do I hate rum?

Pyrat XO Reserve is pretty damn tasty. I like Goslings Black Seal 151, although that shouldn't give you confidence in me. Mt. Gay and Cruzan. But none of them are amongst my favorite spirits and, with the exception of Pyrat XO, I have never owned a bottle. Maybe I don't like rum except as a mixer. At least there is a certain bias. But 1919 also marks the year of prohibition--an unfortunate omen. My recommendation... stick with the bitters.

5 Comments:

At 3:39 AM, Blogger B.Corcoran said...

I also am not a big fan of the exported Trinidadian rums. BUT should you ever get a chance, Royal Oak is a popular brand in Trinidad itself that is a very good, kind of fruity young rum. Fernandes Black Label is another popular Trinidadian, though I don't find it's anything special -- just a solid young rum.

On the other end of the spectrum, the 15yo Barbancourts (~$35) and the 23yo Ron Zacapa Centenario (~$40) are both very good. The 23yo is like sipping a fine 23yo brandy, and may change your mind on rum.

 
At 1:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol...at least you 'admit' rum is not for you! Thankfully Angostura have not taken your advice :)

 
At 10:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW

We love this rum and am trying to get the BC LDB to carry it.

 
At 5:25 AM, Blogger peskypesky said...

I'm sipping the 1919 and I think it's delicious. I still prefer 10 Cane, but that's because 10 Cane is a little sweeter and I have a sweet tooth. Nevertheless, the Angostura 1919 is full-flavored and too good to be mixed.

 
At 8:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you must not be a rum lover, as this is a great rum, hands down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home